Toxic Beauty: The Hidden Hazards In Your Makeup Bag
(EMAILWIRE.COM, April 21, 2014 ) Pasadena, CA -- If you are like most modern women, your daily skin and hair care routine includes between 10 and 20 different products. And most likely, you apply these products with the assumption that they have been subjected to some sort of safety testing and received the approval of a regulatory agency like the FDA.
What most consumers don't realize is that with the exception of color additives, cosmetic products and their ingredients do not require premarket approval by the FDA, meaning that the those foundations, The key to Amazing results with Argan Oil powders, creams, lipstick and whatnot probably reached your makeup bag without any type of regulatory consideration whatsoever.
Since most of what you put on your skin will easily be absorbed into your bloodstream (if not, then what is the purpose of transdermal medications such as estrogen or nitroglycerin patches?), it's important to take a pro-active approach and determine whether the products you're putting on your body are really all that safe.
Following are some of the worst offenders in the cosmetics industry:
1. Nail Care Products: One of the most common ingredients is Dibutyl phthalate (DBP), which has been shown to cause birth defects and reproductive problems in animal studies.
2. Hair Dyes: Some of the 5,000+ ingredients found in hair dyes have been linked to cancer in animals. One study in humans showed an increased risk of follicular lymphoma among women who began using dark-colored dyes after 1980.
3. Hair Straighteners and Smoothers: Many hair-straightening products contain extremely high levels of formaldehyde, which has been linked to leukemia, lung cancer, asthma-like symptoms and dermatitis.
4. Petroleum byproducts: One popular cosmetic additive is propylene glycol, a derivative of petroleum which has been linked to kidney and liver damage as well as respiratory problems.
5. Hydroquinone: used to lighten and even skin tone, this chemical has been linked to cancer, immune system toxicity and developmental and reproductive problems, as well as a disfiguring skin disease know as ochronosis.
So what if you do your homework and discover that your favorite products are chock full of undesirable substances? Should you just go cold turkey on your beloved cosmetics?
Fortunately, as more and more people are becoming aware of the pitfalls associated with synthetic cosmetics, the demand for natural or "green" - makeup has spurred a surge in this industry, with improved formulations and a host of natural ingredients that offer the same high-impact results of their chemical counterparts without all the negatives.
To achieve this, green makeup manufacturers employ sophisticated extraction techniques incorporating everything from fruits and vegetables to flowers, spices and natural minerals such as lapis lazuli, mica and iron oxide. In addition to makeup, there's a host of natural skin and hair care products to choose from featuring ingredients such as Moroccan Argan Oil, natural clays, cocoa butter, coconut oil and shea butter.
Besides eliminating potentially harmful substances from your beauty routine, "one of the biggest benefits of natural makeup and skincare products is that they enhance your beauty from the inside out, rather than just concealing flaws," notes Rebecca Lucas, Managing Director of Kioba Natural Skincare. "Women who have made the switch to natural makeup often find that their skin feels and looks better with regular use, even when they go makeup-less."
For more information on the hidden hazards in your makeup bag the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database offers a searchable platform for you to find out what types of toxins may be lurking in your favorite brands, as well as options for safer, non-toxic alternatives.
About Kioba Natural Skincare
Kioba Natural Skincare is a socially responsible skincare company dedicated to bringing the highest quality natural and organic cosmetics. Their Organic Argan Oil is imported directly from Morocco and meets USDA and Eco Cert Organic Standards.
Kioba Natural Skincare
firstname.lastname@example.org This is a press release. Press release distribution and press release services by EmailWire.Com: http://www.emailwire.com/us-press-release-distribution.php. Source: EmailWire.Com